Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Mother's Love

You created my inmost being.  You knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you, as I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works!  My bones were not hidden from you, when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together as in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.      
Psalm 139:13-16

We always refer to God as father, but in this beautiful poem I find, in God, mother also.  If God is love and is the source of all love, then do we not first see Him in our mothers?  Recently I have listened to my daughter describe how she is coming to know her own daughter while she is still being formed.  She describes the baby’s behavior when daddy rests his hand on her belly and when mommy is awake or sleeping.  She notices the different types of movements, when baby is calm or seems excited.  It leads me to recall learning the same things about my children before they were born. 
In Genesis 1:26, God says “Let us create man in our image, in our likeness”.  I believe He says this every day.  He said it about you, he said it about me and he said it about my grand-daughter, who is to be born soon.  Most of us are created in human love, in our parent’s likeness.  All of us are created in God’s love, in His image and likeness.  Every part of our person is known and loved by Him in a perfect way.  He knows us so intimately because we are truly his own, formed in a collaborative effort of human and divine.

In prayerful meditation, some time ago, I had a vision of heaven.  It had no pearly gates or golden cities, but only love.  It had a closeness to God himself that I could only describe as the feeling, from when I was 4 or 5 years old, of being on my mother’s lap, wrapped in her loving arms.  It was so warm and safe, that I imagined no wrong in the world could find me there.  This is where I came from.  This is where I want to return to, with all my soul, this is where I want to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment